What's New in WattPlot 5?
(Read on, WattPlot fans - this is going to blow you away!)
WattPlot has always been the friendliest OutBack MATE monitoring software ever. Since 2005,
we have also worked hard to give our users all the features that they asked for. WattPlot provides
sophisticated capabilities for industry professionals, but always gives the beginner assistance and
information that is not available anywhere else.
In 2013, we started developing a completely new WattPlot - WattPlot™ 5 -
essentially programming from scratch. This document summarizes some of the amazing tools that we
have created since then:
||Our new flagship monitoring program is even more powerful than before.|
The Automatic Actions
in the PRO version give you unprecedented control of your system.
||A unique animated view of production and power flow.|
WattPlot VisualMATE shows
your full system activity at a glance.
||A MATE/MATE3/AXS-compatible TCP Server for OutBack data streams,|
built-in email/texting capability for critical messages.
||Upload, summarize, and backup MATE3 SD Card data with a single mouse click!|
WattPlot data as plots, summaries, spreadsheets, charts, and more.
WattPlot™ 5 supports monitoring the new MATE3 device (by network UDP/IP, Modbus/TCP, or USB cable), and the
AXS Port (Modbus/TCP), and it
supports the new Radian inverters - that much you would expect. It is also quite comfortable on all
the latest Windows platforms, with no special settings. But check out some of these features:
- Process every data file on your MATE3 or AXS Port SD memory card with a single mouse click! All data will be
captured and summarized into industry-standard spreadsheet files, and the original files will be automatically
copied/moved into sorted monthly folders. Of course, WattPlot can graph the summary files for you, show
daily plots, and allow you to drill down to each second on each device.
- Purchasers of OutBack FLEXpower units want everything preconfigured and ready to go. So
WattPlot™ 5 delivers the same convenience when monitoring them. Select your FLEXpower model
type from the dropdown menu in the system configuration screen, and everything will be filled in for you.
- We've also adopted a new approach to changes made to your actual OutBack system. If you add a new
device or upgrade your MATE to a MATE3, WattPlot will automatically adjust its configuration. Plug and play!
WattPlot's signature real-time pen plots have always been a great feature from our very first
release over a decade ago. Now WattPlot™ 5 adds in all the features you asked to
see for those pen plots:
- Resize the plot windows to any size you want. Select scatter plots or continuous lines, thick or
thin, in resolutions of 1 second, 1 minute, or 3 minutes - giving you the whole day's performance at a
glance. Just double-click to zoom in!
- First, we had plots by device, Then we added Reporting Sets, allowing you to group multiple
devices of the same type on a single graph. Now you can put all the devices for a single OutBack system on one
pen plot, giving you a complete power production picture in one screen.
- WattPlot™ 5 also shows you your pen-plot data at the exact time that it was generated. For
example, if you are viewing MATE3 data that was logged every 5 seconds, you will see the gap between the
plot points (when viewed at 1-second resolution). No more invisible time jumps when monitoring was
The original WattPlot would log data, as it arrived, in one long sequence, and record meaningful data.
WattPlot™ 5 increases the accuracy and precision of your data values in a number of ways:
- As noted above, every second of data is precisely indexed to the second that the data was generated.
- If you have a FLEXnet DC monitor in your system, you can specify the exact location of the shunts so
that WattPlot™ 5 can replace certain device amperage values with the more accurate and precise FnDC
shunt value. WattPlot™ 5 will also confirm that the two values correspond.
- MATEs in other time zones can be monitored with time zone differences taken into account.
New Views on Data
WattPlot™ 5 goes way beyond pen plots for viewing your data. Here are some of our newly
- WattPlot's innovative monthly bar and line graph summaries are still available, but we've added a new
Daily Summary screen. By opening a MATE3 CSV file, Raw-Data-Capture OBM file, or selecting a
WattPlot-monitored day, you can view the full system's performance numbers on a single colour-coded
- The More Information buttons show above include useful summaries you won't find anywhere else, such as how much time a specific device spent in each operating mode that day.
- Our unique VisualMATE™ tool gives users an animated view of their
entire system's power flow in real-time. The WattPlot™ 5 Monitor program (PRO version) now offers the
VisualMATE window as a built-in option, along with all of the plots, etc.
- For true convenience, it also has a built-in browser screen for viewing your MATE3's web interface directly.
We were the first software provider to offer Automatic Actions (MATE commands, email, alarms, etc.)
in response to user-defined trigger conditions. WattPlot™ 5 PRO takes that concept to the next
level, with a host of added capabilities:
- Supply additional conditions: IF this AND that AND that, THEN do this. This permits you to
easily create very responsive actions, such as "If the Battery Voltage is less than 24.8V, and it is after
7pm, and the inverter is in AC Drop, then Start the Generator." A similar rule appears in the sample screen above.
You won't find an easier interface anywhere.
- You can even temporarily disable any trigger or condition at any time, without deleting it. That's a
real convenience, rather than having to create it from scratch every time you want to use it.
Bells and Whistles
The original WattPlot was designed to be installed on 1990's PC hardware. While that made it
compatible with older systems, the programming functionality was limited. WattPlot™ 5 was
written in a state-of-the-art programming environment, giving us enormous opportunities to expand the
program in many directions. And we never miss an opportunity to make a zillion little enhancments:
- No more waiting for trial licenses to be created and set from the WattPlot offices for new users.
Now WattPlot can issue its own trial activations by email!
- Are you running WattPlot™ 5 on an unattended computer? Our new Auto-Start option will
automatically add the Monitor program to your Windows startup menu. Easy!
- Responding to so many user requests for tweaks and features means that new releases are frequently
available. And yes, we sometimes have subtle bugs that have to be corrected as different OutBack
installations stretch the software in different directions. WattPlot™ 5 can now automatically
check to see if new releases are available, show you the details, and give you the option to update your
software. Of course, all updates are still free-of-charge.
For more information, see our WattPlot page or